Sunday, November 25, 2012

Giving Thanks

This year's Thanksgiving was an interesting one.  Usually my mother and her brothers spend it together along with their children and grandchildren at one of their houses.  For whatever reason, that did not happen this year.  I spent a great day with my brother and mother as they were both nursing colds and preferred not to be around anyone else.  I ended up doing a lot of the cooking which was different, but I truly enjoyed it.  My uncle called my mother and said that Christmas we as a family all need to get together.  I totally agree.

This past year and a half has been a trying year for us.  My mom lost her sister in September of 2011 - she fought a long fight with colon cancer.  Then a few days before New Year's, another aunt passed (my mom's younger brother's wife) after battling a lifetime of illness.  In March, my other aunt passed (my mom's older brother's wife).  Now she is the only girl left.  I know it has been really hard on her - but it has been hard on all of us.  To lose 3 strong women so closely - I can't imagine.  She lived with me for about 3-4 months during that time.  She just couldn't bear to be by herself.

So when I think I Thanksgiving, I think of how grateful I am that God has truly been there for my family.  Even in times of sorrow and recently in times of joy (a cousin was just born), I can say that we are truly blessed.  I am thankful for all of the time that I spend with my family and look forward to many more wonderful times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment