Saturday, May 18, 2013

Help When You Need It Most

Earlier last week, I was speaking with my mother and somehow we got on the subject of her medications.  As you may know, if you read my blog posts, that my mother is a Lung Cancer survivor.  Currently she is doing well as there is really no evidence of the disease in her.  God has truly been so good!  Everyday she takes a targeted chemo pill called Tarceva.  Tarceva is extremely expensive and unless you have co-pay assistance, there really is no way that you can afford it.

Earlier this year, she filled out the paperwork for the Chronic Disease Fund who has helped with co-pays in the past.  My mother said she called them earlier this week because she hadn't heard from them.  They had run out of funding for the year.  But what was worse, is that they never notified her!  Insane.  As I got over that shock, the realization set in that she has only a few pills left and no way to pay the $1200 co pay for it each month.

I called Genentech, the manufacturer and they open up a case.  Through the case workers, they helped look into several other companies, who as it turns out, have run out of funding as well.  What is going on?!?

Genentech is trying to see if they can assist her directly. I pray that you will join me in praying for a solution.  Since 2008, she has been a warrior and fighting.  I believe someone will come through so my mother can get the meds that have been working for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment