Friday, October 5, 2012

Where Good Works - City of Refuge

Today was a great day.  Every year, the company I work for, 2 Places At 1 Time, holds an annual volunteer day where employees nationwide give back in their local communities.  This year the staff in Atlanta volunteered at City of Refuge.  City of Refuge is in fact that - a place of hope and rebuilding in a community ravaged by poverty and crime.  Our task was to work in the Eden Garden. 

When we met the Volunteer Coordinator, Phil, he gave us bracelets that said "Where Good Works" Micah 6:8.  This bible verse reads: (taken from New King James Version)

He has shown you, O man, what is good;
And what does the Lord require of you
But to do justly,
To love mercy,
And to walk humbly with your God?


I don't always do this.  I know what is right in so many situations, but do I always do what the Lord requires of me to do.  If someone is hurting or going through a bad situation, I should do whatever is in my power to assist them and build them up - not tear them down.  I never intend to do them harm - but my inaction can often speak volumes.

City of Refuge is a blessed place.  You can feel the love there.  You feel safe there.  Not one time, did I even think of what neighborhood I was in - in terms of feeling afraid.  They are doing the Good Work and continues to spread God's message of love and healing to those who need it.

I think of the times that I am asked to help others and I complain or asked to give a hand to those in need and I do it begrudgingly.  I may not have nothing going on but I am mad that someone asked for my time.  Is it possible that I have nothing going on because it was for me to help them.  I am sure that is the case.  I will gladly wear my bracelet so I can share with others about the City of Refuge and how we can me be models of Micah 6:8 and do what the Lord requires of us to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment