Monday, October 1, 2012

Friday Night Fireworks

This past Friday, I went to a high school football game.  As someone who was a member of my high school marching band from 8th - 12th grade, as much as I love football, I am also very interested in the marching band.  But for whatever reason, I hadn't gone to any high school football games since I graduated.  Well I take that back - I went to one.

My younger cousins were playing.  It was the game of the week - Southwest Dekalb vs Stephenson.  Football team vs Football team, Band vs Band.  One of my younger cousins vs the other cousin.  Whoever was the victor would definately have bragging rights.  And to top it all off, my uncle is the Offensive Coordinator for Southwest Dekalb.  I couldn't miss it - even though I was starting to come down with a sinus cold.

Traffic was horrible.  It had rained earlier that day which made things worse.  Determined to support and represent, I finally made it to the stadium at about 8pm. (The game started at 7:30pm).  I decided to sit on the Stephenson side, for no other reason than that I figured more of my family would be on that side and that it would be more fun.  I am so glad I did.  I got there about 2 minutes before halftime.  Looking through the crowd, I spotted my family and waited until the buzzer sounded so that I could make my way down the bleachers to where they were sitting.

I tried to hide my excitement, but I couldn't wait to see the Stephenson band.  As the visiting team, they went first.  Memories came back as I looked at the drills.  This band was really good. But the best was truly to come.  As they finished an amazing set, all of a sudden they started playing the them from "Superman" and formed the "S" symbol on the field.  And then....

An epic move that cannot be duplicated because it will be imitated.

Because imitation is the highest form of flattery (lol).  There were FIREWORKS!  I'm sorry, but I will remember that forever.  It was AMAZING.

My phone ran out of power so I couldn't video tape it, but here is a video of the band from 2 years ago. 





No comments:

Post a Comment